The coffee industry is one of the most innovative fields in the world. It is possible to find new types of coffee in your local cafe once every few months. The sheer amount of coffee lovers in the world pushes experts and amateur enthusiasts to experiment with this beverage and discover new methods of preparing it.
If you have the right nitro cold brew equipment, one of the best results of such culinary experimentation is nitro cold brew. Even though nitrogen-infused coffee sounds like something from a science fiction movie, it is a pretty simple and truly delicious form of coffee. There are methods to make it for commercial environments and home settings.
What is Nitro Cold Brew
Nitro cold brew is made by infusing a regular cold brew coffee with nitrogen. Nitrogen gas improves the taste of the coffee by creating small bubbles and making the texture creamier and smoother. To prepare this beverage, you must first prepare a cold brew coffee. Making cold brew includes soaking grounded coffee beans in cold water at least overnight to extract flavors. After this step, only the nitrogen must be added to produce a cup of nitro cold brew. To infuse your drink with nitrogen, you will need special tools.
Origins of Nitro Cold Brew
The discovery of nitro cold brew is fairly new. While the exact date and place are unclear, the earliest signs of this drink appear around 2010-2013. Some argue that it originated in a third-wave coffee shop in Texas in 2013, while others claim it was served in New York in 2011. Even though it is hard to pinpoint an exact location and day, it is safe to claim that it was first made in the USA. This beverage shortly made its way to the menus of big chains, and towards the end of 2016, it was almost available nationwide. Today, finding a good cup of nitro coffee anywhere is possible.
Benefits of Drinking and Serving Nitro Cold Brew
- Less cream, milk, and sugar are needed to make coffee when you are making it with nitrogen. Nitrogen infuses your beverage with a creamy and sweet taste.
- It’s low on calories and sugar-free since cream and sugar are not necessarily needed in nitro brews. You can serve it to customers who don’t do sugar or try to minimize their calorie intake.
- Nitrogen softens the coffee and lowers its acidity. This is a great benefit for those who suffer from a sensitive stomach.
- It is good for lactose intolerants since they can have their coffees with little to no milk thanks to this method.
- It is a popular drink, and people are looking for it. Having it on the menu can increase your customer base.
- There is much potential for profit since nitro cold brew is in demand and relatively easy to make for a business.
Nitro Cold Brew Equipment List
There are different types of nitro cold brew equipment to create this delicious drink. A professional establishment will need the proper tools to do justice to the long process of making nitro cold brew.
- Nitrogen Tanks are ways to buy and store nitrogen gas. You can find them in different sizes depending on how much nitrogen you intend to use.
- Nitrogen Regulators are important items for the process. They help you monitor the nitrogen levels and pressure in your keg and allow you to create accurate and standard results.
- Kegerators help you store your coffee and keep it cold.
- Cold brew kegs are portable and easy-to-carry coffee holders with various capacities. They also fit the kegerators easily, making them useful for busy shops.
- Keg Coffee Filters are necessary for the final stage of the process. Once your cold brew is done, you will need a filter to separate the brew and the bean residues.
- Nitro Cold Brew Makers add nitrogen or nitrous oxide to your cold brew for a sweeter and fresher taste with the cascading and delicious micro-bubbles.
- Nitro Cold Brew Dispensers can store great amounts of nitro coffee in their body, allowing you to easily dispense it for customers. If you invest in an insulated model, you can rely on these machines for long-term usage. You can also find ADA-compliant counters.
- Nitro Infuser Box is used to control the acidity levels of your drink, and they are designed to be resistant to rust.
FAQ About Nitro Cold Brew and Nitro Cold Brew Equipment
Despite being around for over a decade now, nitro cold brew still is a new drink for many people, and there are a lot of questions and misconceptions about it. It is important to know these facts for your peace of mind and to inform your customers properly.
Can You Make Nitro Cold Brew At Hom
It is possible to make this drink at home. You will need nitro cold brew equipment to complete the process. While it might seem expensive and difficult at first, once you have the equipment, you can easily make a nitro cold brew in your home.
What is the Difference Between Cold Brew and Nitro Cold Brew?
The only difference between a regular cold brew and a nitro cold brew is the nitrogen. Both drinks are prepared the same, but to produce nitro cold brew, you need to infuse your cold brew with nitrogen using the tools mentioned above.
Does Nitro Cold Brew have More Caffeine than Regular Caffee?
Yes. There is also a theory that nitrogen enables your body to process caffeine faster.
Is Nitrogen Safe to Drink?
Yes, nitro cold brew is perfectly safe to consume. While the name might remind you of your high school chemistry class, drinking nitrogen-infused coffee is not flammable or dangerous.
Can I Store Nitro Cold Brew to Drink Later?
Yes, you can. While the shelf life might differ based on the conditions and the type of coffee, nitro cold brew should be good for about three months if preserved properly in a good cooler. As a business, you can produce it in bulk and store it when needed.
Nitro cold brew is a popular drink and a great profit opportunity for many businesses. Nitro cold brew equipment is easy to acquire, and once you have the necessary equipment, making the coffee is easy. It is a perfectly safe and delicious beverage, rising the ranks every year for coffee lovers. You can try the nitro cold brew and see how the small nitrogen bubbles can enhance your experience.