Ice makers might seem luxurious or industrial at first sight but, thanks to their variety and incredible benefits of ice, they might be just what you need. It is a fact that Americans have been obsessed with ice, and it holds a special place in our lives. Today, what used to be a luxury for the rich is necessary for every American, and it is more accessible than ever.
Whether you are a business owner looking for an industrial ice maker machine for your restaurant, a bartender trying to find the perfect ice cubes for your cocktails, or simply a person who enjoys a cold drink every now and then and would like to have access to a countertop ice maker there is a perfect machine out there for you.
You might have questions such as why I need an ice maker, what kind of benefits the ice has, or how I can find the perfect machine to match my needs. This guide will endow you with the information you need to find the best ice maker for you and get the most benefit out of ice cubes in ways you never knew before.
Benefits Of Ice
It might not look like much, but ice is used in various areas, from physiotherapy to food storage. Here are some benefits of ice that might help you;
- Ice enhances the taste of your drinks by lowering their temperatures and masking their extreme sweetness or bitterness. According to recent researches, taste buds become more or less receptive based on the temperature of your drinks and food. By using ice, you can adjust the taste of your favorite beverages to your liking.
- Ice is a common remedy for injuries, and it is used in physiotherapy. Especially flake ice, which is a softer shape, is used for cold compresses and ice bags. Having an ice maker that makes flake or nugget ices at your disposal is an excellent idea if you have a healthcare clinic or if you are dealing with sports injuries and such.
- Last but not least, ice is aesthetically pleasing. If you want to feel like you are on an actual summer holiday, having an iced cocktail is a must. It photographs well too for your Instagram posts :-).
What Does An Ice Maker Do Exactly?
Ice is all good and well, but you might still wonder why you need an ice maker machine. Isn’t a tray in the refrigerator enough after all? Is a machine really a necessity? Well, ice makers are solutions to your many problems. They provide you with ice that fits your needs in different shapes and forms for all situations; and boost your business and life with the fast, high-quality ice they produce. Here are some ways they can help you;
- Even though you might think a tray in the refrigerator is enough for private use, it really isn’t. While it takes at least an hour to freeze a tray of ice cubes, you can obtain more and higher quality ice from your countertop ice maker. Especially for social gatherings with lots of cocktails, it can be your savior. Nobody wants to run out of ice in the middle of a party, after all.
- It would be best it you considered getting an ice maker instead of trying to live on your refrigerator because the quality of the ice isn’t the same. Considering that ice trays in refrigerators are usually made of cheap plastic, their taste might transfer to your ice. Also, since freezers are full of frozen food, your ice is bound to absorb the smell around it.
So not only do you wait a long time to get little ice, but you are also deprived of the joys of ice due to these circumstances. On the other hand, using a countertop ice maker can ensure the quality of ice; and you can throw parties without worrying about running out of ice or having your ice smell like frozen food.
- Did you know that there are portable ice maker machines? You can finally have ice wherever you go without having to worry about it melting on the way over.
- Ice makers offer a significant boost to your business too. Time is of the essence when it comes to restaurants, and you cannot simply afford to wait around for ice. Commercial ice maker machines for restaurants will provide you with large amounts of ice in a short time. Also, if you get an ice maker with bin or a separate ice bin, you can store the ice produced by the machine.
- Also, investing in a good ice maker means you will have access to different shapes and higher ice quality for your cocktails. Many ice makers can produce various ice forms such as dice cubes, crescent cubes, nugget ice, and flake ice. Any bartender will tell you the importance of ice shape and quality for a tasty cocktail. So instead of being stuck with regular small ice cubes, you can invest in an ice maker and make sure that you have the best ice for the best cocktails in town. For instance, to preserve the drink’s image and ensure that the ice doesn’t melt so quickly, bartenders prefer large ice cubes and spheres for drinks such as vodka. On the other hand, you will need crushed ice to create the signature look of a mojito. All in all, ice makers will save you from a lot of trouble when it comes to serving delicious and aesthetically stunning cocktails in a short amount of time.
Seven Key Points To Consider Before You Buy An Ice Maker
There are many ice makers out there, from big industrial ice maker machines to countertop ice makers. While it might seem confusing at first sight, the diversity of options is a blessing. You can find the perfect one for yourself or your business. Here are seven things to consider before buying an ice maker;
1. Business Type
There are many types of commercial ice maker machines for different businesses. If you have a bar or offer many cold drinks, you might want to invest in an ice maker with bin. For hotels and restaurants, ice merchandisers will help you display bagged ice better to your customers. If you are in the serving industry, you could benefit from an ice caddy; a portable ice bin that will help you carry ice.
Did you know that the production capacity of ice makers ranges from 5 lbs to 1900 lbs per 24 hours? The capacity is one of the most important details you should pay attention to when buying an ice maker. Make sure to buy one that fits your needs to ensure you don’t run out of ice in the middle of a party or during a busy day.
Whether you are on a budget or not, ice makers are for everyone. They are offered in a wide price range suited to all sorts of budgets, so you are guaranteed to find the model of ice maker machine you need at a reasonable price.
4. Ice Types For Your Needs
While some ice makers can produce different ice shapes, you could choose a specific model for a particular form. If you are looking to buy an ice maker for a healthcare clinic, machines that make flake or nugget ice shapes will help you the most, and if you have a restaurant, ice cubes will be the most in-demand. You could also invest in an ice crusher to save you from the trouble of crushing the ice yourself.
5. Energy-efficient models
The environment should always be a priority, so many brands offer energy-efficient, eco-friendly ice maker machines. By purchasing an energy-starred ice maker, you could save a lot of power and minimize your impact on the environment.
6. Water Filtration Codes
Some states have regulation codes regarding ice maker water filtrations that you need to follow. So make sure to check the guidelines of your state before buying an ice maker for your business.
7. Condenser type
There are different types of condensers; remote, air-cooled, and water-cooled being the main ones.
- Air-cooled models are the most prevalent ones, and they are significantly cheaper than the other condenser types. They use fans to cool down the fluids and the machine. Despite the advantages, you need to have a sound ventilation system for an air-cooled condenser.
- Remote makers are more expensive than air-cooled condensers, yet they are still preferred due to their quieter structures. They are affected by the weather outside, so if you live in a relatively cooler environment and want a more silent machine, remote makers are for you.
- Water-cooled condensers, on the other hand, offer solutions to different problems. They are not affected by the heat of the environment like remote models. They are also quieter, so you might want to consider a water condenser if you live in a hot climate and want a quiet machine; but, they use a lot of water to work, and some states don’t allow water-cooled condensers due to this high usage.
Types of Ice Maker Machines
There are many different types of models, and some have already been mentioned above. To help you narrow down your research, here is a closer look at these models that offer different solutions to different problems;
1. Ice Maker With Bin: If you take pride in the cold beverages of your restaurant and wish to solidify your fame, you might want to get an ice maker with bin. These models offer you the chance to store the different types of ice your machine produces within it. Thanks to an ice maker with bin, you can be assured that you will never run out of ice on a busy day.
2. Ice Bin: Ice bins are the perfect way to store your pre-made ice. Their wide range of capacity and the sanitary conditions they provide can help you protect the massive amounts of ice you need daily for your business.
3. Ice Caddy: These portable ice bins are what you need if you are in the service business. Ice caddies help you store and serve the much-needed ice in a comfortable, fast way, and they come in handy, especially during rush hours. If you want to serve your ice quickly and in style, an ice caddy is for you.
4. Ice Crusher: As mentioned above, ice crushers do not make ice, but they save you the trouble of crushing the ice yourself. This point is an essential and helpful aspect if you need crushed ice daily. After all, who has the time to dedicate physical labor to crushing ice?
5. Ice Merchandiser: Commercial ice merchandisers are preferred by many restaurants all over the world. Specifically, thanks to their beautiful structure that helps display ice bags in an excellent way and their ability to store ready-to-use ice. Restaurants and hotels can significantly benefit from investing in a commercial ice merchandiser.
6. Ice Dispenser: Investing in an ice dispenser could be one of the best things you could do for your restaurant. Whether you are offering drinks or storing food having access to ice at a moment’s notice is a game-changer. Plus, there are so many different models you can choose from.
7. Ice Maker Dispenser: Having the ice maker and the dispenser in one machine is a dream come true. By getting a 2 in 1 ice maker, you will be getting the best price-performance rate. Also, these ice dispensers come in so many different sizes. You could get a big commercial ice dispenser for your business or a countertop ice maker machine for your needs.
There are many different manufacturers out there ready to provide you with the ice maker you need. Thanks to the wide range of options, you will have no trouble finding an ice maker suited to your needs and wishes at a reasonable price. Here are some brands:
- ITV Ice Makers
- Eurodib USA
- Blue Air
- Atosa USA
Maintenance Tips For Your Ice Maker
It is crucial to make sure that such a vital part of your life is well looked after so that it serves you for a long time. To keep your ice maker in good shape, ensure that it is regularly cleaned and inspected by professionals. Here are some maintenance tips for cleaning your ice maker;
- Before you start, make sure to turn off the machine and disconnect the power.
- After dissembling the machine, examine all parts that come in contact with water for mold and slime.
- Clean the build-ups of minerals and such to prevent a freeze-up.
- Following the inspection of a maintenance service worker(who will use cleaning solutions to clean up your machine), flush and circulate the water to cleanse the ice maker of any cleaning solution residues.
- Clean the air and water filters regularly to ensure increased flow and replace the filters if it seems necessary.
- Keep your equipment clean and running with ice maker cleaners. You can also consider signing up for a cleaning service from an experienced company.
Ice is a big part of our lives with the countless benefits it offers, and we all need an ice make around. Whether you are a business owner or a regular American obsessed with ice, there is a perfect ice maker machine for you. Now that you know all about them, you can make an informed decision and buy your dream machine to live each day with the knowledge that you will never run out of ice :).