Wash, Rinse, and Sanitize Your Cooking Utensils in 2-Compartment Sinks
2-compartment sinks add versatility to your commercial kitchen by carrying out multiple washing and food prep tasks. The deep sink bowls of two-compartment sinks are perfect for washing, rinsing, and sanitizing the bulky cooking utensils. The galvanized steel legs with adjustable feet allow you to customize the sink’s height. Plus, the rounded corners provide safety while handling, and the rolled edges keep water splashes inside the compartment.
How to Clean and Sanitize in 2-Compartment Sinks?
A double-compartment sink can serve several functions, from thawing frozen food to washing fresh produce. You can also rub off food scraps on dinnerware or soak them in the two-compartment sink before loading them into your dishwasher. The codes require using sinks only for the designated purpose. Therefore, a double sink with drainboards can be ideal for washing heavy-duty pots, pans, and other utensils. You can follow the 2-compartment sink procedure below:
- Scrape dirty dishes and sort them on one of the drainboards.
- Use the first compartment for washing the dishes in a clean detergent solution and then rinsing them under running water.
- Submerge the rinsed items into the sanitizing solution in the second compartment.
- Air-dry the dishes on the clean drainboard.
How to Shop for 2-Compartment Sinks?
These units are freestanding sinks with backsplashes at varying heights. Most models feature pre-drilled holes on the backsplashes facilitating the faucet installation. Here are the other issues you need to know while buying a two-compartment sink.
- Construction: 2-compartment stainless steel sink is the standard. However, you will see variations in the grade (300 or 400 series) and gauge (indicating thickness) of the steel used in the construction. Type 304 assures remarkable resistance to rust. As for the gauge, keep in mind that the lower the gauge is, the thicker the steel.
- Drainboards: These sinks come with or without drainboards mounted on one or both sides. A double sink with drainboards will occupy a larger footprint, but drainboards are necessary to air-dry kitchenware.
- Size: 2-compartment sinks have a wide range of size options. Check the available space in your kitchen. When considering the bowl depth, make sure that it is deep enough to immerse the most oversized utensil in your kitchen for proper sanitation.
You may also want to check other commercial sinks and commercial faucets due to your kitchen needs.